HOME   ABOUT US   HISTORY   CONTRIBUTIONS   BOARD   CONTACT US   PRESS   LINKS
After seven years of focused and diligent work, a new chapter began for NASG with the October 17, 2003 dedication of Navy Park, and NASG Hangar One. The Glen Town Center development is an honorable outcome for Hangar One, which is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. It is an example of the profound results that are achievable when parties-in-interest work together to maximize the outcome of an ambitious project.
View Construction Pictures Of Hangar One By Date
:: May 6th, 2001 :: June 9th, 2002  :: July 13th, 2002 ::
::
August 31st, 2002 :: November 25th, 2002 :: August 2nd, 2003 ::

The original Goal of the Glenview Hangar One Foundation was to preserve Hangar One under national preservation standards so Hangar One could remain listed on the National Register of Historical Places in good standing. Additionally, Hangar One planned to include the Naval Air Station Glenview Museum, and a Challenger Learning Center, in the preserved Hangar One structure.

However, the referenced business plans proved to be financially unachievable for all of the parties-in-interest involved. Alternatively, the control tower and north and south pod facades of Hangar One, along with certain structural components, were preserved. In addition, Hangar One’s contributions included the creation of Navy Park, the Temporary Naval Air Station Glenview Museum, and the inclusion of NASG memorabilia into The Glen Town Center.

The final result of the Glen Town Center truly represents a Memorial to Freedom to the veterans of Naval Air Station Glenview, and to all of the men and women who served, or have served in the armed forces of the US.


Examples of Naval Air Station memorabilia included in the Glen Town Center include the insignias of Naval Air Station Glenview stationed squadrons around Navy Park and on Tower Drive, the Navy N2S Stearman aircraft suspended from the ceiling of the Von Maur store in The Glen Town Center, and Capt. Henry J. Smith (“Smitty”), a life-like robot located on the second floor of Von Maur, who narrates NASG history with visitors. Hangar One worked with Von Maur to authenticate the historical accuracy of these displays, and outfitted Capt. Smith with his scripts and military attire.


The redevelopment known as The Glen includes other locations that contain NASG memorabilia. Examples include Gallery Park, named after Admiral Dan Gallery (NASG 1952 – 1954) best known as the Commanding Officer of the U.S. Naval forces that captured the German U-505 submarine displayed at Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry, and the NASG Chapel, located at the Southeast corner of Patriot Boulevard and Chestnut Avenue, that was built during World War II utilizing the manpower of captured German POWs.
For additional information on Navy Park, NASG Hangar One, The Glen Town Center and The Glen, please link to <http://www.theglentowncenter.com/>, <http://www.olivermcmillan.com/gtc/gtc.htm> and <http://www.glenview.il.us/glen/>

For the first time in history, Naval Air Station Glenview is open to the public. Enjoy all of the wonders of The Glen and its Town Center. Please remember to pause from time to time in Navy Park to appreciate the many veterans of NASG, who are honored in the granite bricks that pave the paths of the park, who contributed their time and lives so that we can live as free people in a safe nation.